Friday, January 30, 2009

ABT Part II - First Stop: Melbourne City


I did ZERO planning for this backpacking trip except for getting the air tics and borrowing a Lonely Planet Guidebook from the library. And I'm going alone. Brave or just pure recklessness?!! This is of course due to my busy work schedule and ... some laziness... haha. I spent abt half a day doing planning whenever I reached a new destination and as such, I'd say I wasted some precious time. However there are really interesting attractions which I discovered at their Visitors' Centre, listed outside the guidebook. Thus even if one does planned beforehand, be prepared to change some of your itinerary along the way=)


I paid about S$1500 for the air tics. It's considered ex as january is still Australia's holiday season. Not to mention I got it quite last min too. Lesson No 1 learnt: Book way in advance! You can also look out for special deals but usually condition like "2 to go" is applicable to enjoy the discount (I saw one at abt S$800. Almost half the price!!).


I took Qantas. I like to try different airlines to have different inflight experience. I'm proud to say that Singapore Airlines still ranks top on my list (but it can be more ex...). I definitely felt quite "special" sitting among the ang mos as I was the minority on the plane. This was also my first trip to a Caucasian country. So excited! Maybe with some luck, I can bring a Caucasian gf home!!! haha


The timing of the plane was quite nice in that it was an overnight flight. When it landed in Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport after about 7hrs (gosh! tiring...), it was morning and Melbourne was all ready for me to explore! Except for a problem: I did not book any accomodation in advance! Luckily I found a saviour in Rob Hussey! (he's the hot guy right in front in the photo).


No comments:

Post a Comment