Thursday, January 29, 2009

Meditation Retreat 15/12/08 - 29/12/08


This is really a long overdue blog that I should have written even before my Australia Backpacking Trip (which unfortunately is still stuck...). However I really got interested and committed to starting a blog only after my Australia trip, so well...

I usually try to go for a meditation retreat at the end of every year to reflect as well as revigorate myself to prepare for the coming new year. In 2007, I opted for a trip to Hanoi to visit my friend who was working there instead. It was quite an experience but I did not exactly like Hanoi, not to mention I had serious diarrhoea while out in the sea at Halong Bay! So in 2008, I told myself I must resume my annual retreat practice at the end of the year.

I usually like to go for mediation retreat alone (or at most just a few) as compared to going together with a group of people I know because I feel I would be more focused with no familiar faces around. Maybe a wrong view? But this is just a personal preference=)

This time round, I decided to go to Bhaddekaratta Hermitage (http://www.bhaddekaratta.org/index.html) which is located at Batu Pahat in the state of Johor in West Malaysia, about 2 hours by car from Singapore, after hearing good feedback from friends who have been there. As I got no car, I have to get there by public transport. I contacted the Hermitage for direction instructions and was extremely lucky to find out that another Dhamma friend from Singapore, John, would be going there on the same day. As he was a regular there, I basically just followed him=) For those who are keen to go, you can look up the relevant contact at the website and called to enquire about availability of hermitage (there may not be enough lodgings due to overwhelming number of yogis) as well as instructions to get there.

It's been quite a way, so I cannot remember the full details. I remembered meeting John at Clementi MRT station platform at 6+am (...) and we proceeded to Kranji station where we took a bus to the customs and subsequently to Larkin Bus Terminal in Johor Bahru. From there, we got tickets through another bus company to Batu Pahat. As there was still some available time, we grabbed a quick breakfast and kopi=) The journey took about 1.5 hours or 2? Cannot exactly remember. We alighted at a bus stop outside the Japanese company, Sharp Roxy and John gave a call to his wife who was helping out at the Hermitage on a long term basis. We were picked up and drove through an oil palm plantation to eventually arrive at the Hermitage.

When we arrived at 11.30am, we were just right for lunch (this was calculated precisely by John). Then I was given a kuti as my resting place for the next 14 days. I took some time to clean the place as it was quite dirty. Then it was to start my meditation practice as according to the timetable. My retreat has officially started!


Retreat Timetable 禅修时间表
04:00 AM
Rising & Walking meditation
起身和行禅
05:00 AM
Sitting meditation
坐禅
06:30 AM
Breakfast & Hermitage's chores
早餐,禅院义务
08:30 AM
Walking meditation
行禅
09:30 AM
Sitting meditation
坐禅
11:30 AM
Meal, Clean Dining Hall/Kitchen & Others
用餐,清理食堂
01:00 PM
Walking meditation
行禅
02:00 PM
Sitting meditation
坐禅
03:00 PM
Walking meditation
行禅
04:00 PM
Sitting meditation
坐禅
05:30 PM
Meditation Discussion
禅修报告
06:30 PM
Walking meditation
行禅
07:30 PM
Sitting meditation
坐禅
08:30 PM
Chanting (group or personal)
诵经
AND I almost "died" there!!! hahaha. I woke up at 3.30am in the morning to wash up before starting my meditation practice of anapanasati (awareness of in breath and out breath). At first, I got difficulty pulling myself out of bed (who wouldn't??!). As I haven't been meditating at home, my mind was all over the place except the one place it should be ie my breath and it was a "torture" sitting cross-legged even for 15 mins. It was especially hard to pass the stretch in the afternoon of 4 hours. Ok what have I got myself in this time?
Pls follow closely as to how my practice progressed as the days passed. To be continued...=)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kenny

    I am considering to go Bhaddekaratta Hermitage Centre in Oct for a short retreat. This will be the first serious retreat that i ever attended. I would like to understand from you. How do you find the place for meditation ?

    Veraine

    ReplyDelete