Sunday, February 7, 2010

Think U Can, Think U Can't, Either Way U r Rite!



Think You Can, Think You Can't, Either Way You Are Right. This is the table topic for NUS Alumni Toastmasters Contest in our February Chapter Meeting. I was one of the "fortunate" competitors in this contest. Or should I say, I was conned into the contest! haha.

I joined NUS Alumni Toastmasters last month as I want to improve my public speaking and presentation skills. I volunteered for the table topic during my first meeting and had a rude shock when I failed terribly. However I know practice makes perfect and I decided to try again. Though I want to practise, February meeting was the club's contest for International and Table Topic. Thus I was not too sure if it would be appropiate to participate, especially as I believe the standard would be very high! The coordinator conned, oops I mean, encouraged me to join and thus there I was breaking out in cold sweat when I received subsequent emails which were very serious like proper dressing and the large number of audience.

Still, there is no turning back for my ego! haha. I just have to take the risk. It would still help me to practise anywhere. As I got the topic and started to speak, I could not help but want to "take revenge" on the coordinator haha. So I started with talk abt being conned into this contest and what followed was a truthful and humourous speech which touched the judges' heart. The 2nd runner-up was the ensuring result=)







To find out more abt NUS Alumni Toastmasters, pls see http://nusalumni.freetoasthost.org/.

This link was given to me by a good friend with very interesting write-ups about the above table topic (I especially like the story ahhaha): http://www.upgradereality.com/whether-you-think-you-can-or-cant-you-are-right

No comments:

Post a Comment